Welcome to the new website for Windsor Construction. We look forward to sharing more with you about current projects and industry news that may make a difference for your home.

Until next time,
Craig

P.S. A big thanks to Evan Kaufman for our wonderful photographs! www.evankaufman.net
 
Remodeled House
Sometimes a kitchen remodel turns into more than just the kitchen. This was the case with this project which was started in June 2010 and finished in November 2010.

Some of the work involved with this project included removing the flat ceiling over the kitchen and continuing the vaulted ceiling from the family room back into the kitchen. There was some engineering that was done to insure the integrity in one part of the roof that was different from the rest. We matched the living room vault with kiln dried beams and clear fir paneling.

In addition, we installed all new electrical, plumbing, windows and a nice big expansive door system to access their back deck. About 1100 sq. ft. of oak was put down in the foyer, hall, kitchen, and family room. All new cabinets were installed in the kitchen and laundry, and new granite tops, appliances, carpet, base moulding were installed in all main living areas, bedrooms, and hall.

In the rear of the home, we removed the existing decking, installed a new composite deck with cable rail, removed dryrotted floor joists that were sticking out, cut them off and installed an independent system, eliminating any chance of water getting into the house. In the front of the home, we installed another composite deck with cable rail.

Remodeled Kitchen
 
Remodeled Kitchen
We began this project in the fall of 2009, where we were hired to gut the basement, install all new walls and ceiling, electrical, plumbing, etc., and at the same time work on the kitchen upstairs, laundry, office, dining room, and family room. During this process we reused a lot of materials after sanding and cleaning them up to make them as good as new.

Some of the details you might notice in the work... If you look at the cabinets there is the wood pattern that is prevalent throughout, only stained the green color. The island's 5' x 9' granite slab took 6 guys to get into place, and there were 6 different cabinets that made up the island's base. The vent hood was reworked to accommodate a very high cfm fan. The concrete floors were sanded and stained. All the windows we changed out to have thermal panes and be highly efficient. We also replaced slate in the hall, foyer, stairs to the bedroom, sanded down all the wood in the living room, ceiling and walls, and recoated them with a low-sheen lacquer. In addition, we reformed the hearth and put slate on it, as well as rediscovering the first mantle that was on there and restored it beautifully.

In the guest bedroom, we stripped all the old wallpaper off, gutted the private full bath and installed new cabinets, a solid surface top, plumbing fixtures, flooring, paint, etc., and installed a new full-light door which replaced the existing one.

Outside of the home, we cut windows in the basement walls, cleaned up a wood storage area, and poured a concrete slab. On the patio roof we installed 3, 4' x 4' skylights over openings that were already there. In the front of the home, we built a 1600 sq. ft. garage with custom garage doors, and we reused the windows that came out of the basement. We totally finished the inside, including pine paneling on the ceiling plaster painted walls. We also dug a trench down the side of the driveway, across the driveway, and down a planting bed across a sidewalk just to drain the water off the garage roof onto the street.

5'x9' Granite Slab
Slab Flooring, Interior Wood Work
 
Remodeled House

This project began in November 2005 and we were asked to rebuild the front wall that holds up the arched brick window. This was specified by an engineer which means that this wall would be up long after the house is gone. In addition to the front wall, there were several other items we were asked to work on, including the basement, where we installed all new walls, heating, plumbing, electrical, and we had to make sure all of this tied in with the three-story addition. The three-story addition was also engineered, which meant extensive strapping and nailing schedules.

Some of the other touches we worked on included the installation of all new Pella windows to coordinate with the rest of the house, and replicating the details of the older house with the new construction so it would appear seamless. We also installed a new 50-year composition shingle roof. Once the structural work was done, we took care of the interior touches, too. New paint, newly refinished floors, new bathrooms, carpet, and a fully finished garage. The house was virtually brand new when we were done.

After all was complete, the owner of the home wanted us to build the "boat" house behind his home, which does house a small sailboat. It turned out quite cute.

Remodeled House Back
Three Story Addition